[-empyre-] Welcome to the March 2018 Discussion!

Junting Huang jh2358 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 6 05:36:55 AEDT 2018

Thank you, Tim and Renate, for your responses. Revisiting Hsia Yu, David
Novak, and the NetNoise collective, I see much more connections between
acoustic noise and digital/communication noise through notions of
circulation, circuit, and feedback vis-a-vis difference. As Renate noted,
“the circulation of found texts are embedded within the complications of
cultural understanding and translation.”

In Japanoise, Novak characterizes the cultural formation of Japanoise as
“feedback,” which I find interesting. In a sound system, feedback occurs
when the output is routed back to the input, amplifying and intensifying
itself. But on the other hand, the feedback loop with its increasing
intensity will eventually overload the collapse the system, creating loud
squeals and unintelligible noise. That is where glitches happen. In other
words, in a connected world, noise could be said as the amplified
differences.

Junting

--
Junting Huang