[-empyre-] Week 3 Introduction

Murat Nemet-Nejat muratnn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 03:27:34 AEDT 2018

"Perhaps we are partially in agreement. I use the term noise to refer to
the fluctuations of the universe that are beyond our complete
understanding. And I believe that there will never be complete
understanding...we will never be able to predict, for example, the exact
movements of every leaf on a tree in the breeze, the exact behavior of our
cat, the exact results of a decision by a premier. So "letting noise be
noise" means learning to engage with these unpredictable aspects of the
world."

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for your response. Reading it, I noticed that there is an
implicit equivalence between "comprehension" and various kinds of
"predictions," in other words, control (scientific prediction, "fall of a
leaf" or "fall of a sparrow") or power (behavioral prediction, data mining,
etc.). Why should such an equivalence, implicit or explicit, necessarily
exist? Can noise be something, a *reality*, not only beyond human
comprehension; but beyond control. Noise, something with its autonomous
existence, maybe (and that is the controversial issue) beyond human speech?
Can noise be what is beyond speech; in other words, ultimately, in its
absolute point, can noise be equivalent to silence (not control or
comprehension)? Is that not what John Cage is saying?

Nicholas, I think the series of quotes you have given at the end of you
post are all in different ways moving towards silence.

Ciao,
Murat