[-empyre-] FW: Welcome Byron Rich to the September discussion

Paula Burleigh pburleigh at allegheny.edu
Tue Sep 25 03:47:28 AEST 2018

First, apologies for my terribly delayed response, but I have been reading
contributions by Alex, Paul, and Jennifer with great interest! Byron,
thanks very much for the invitation to participate here.

To briefly return to Paul’s initial post, I was so struck by the image of
the bikini-clad teenager, unaware that she was traversing an international
border (and certainly of her own privileged position that allowed her to do
so unchecked). It reminded me in a strange way of Green Borders (1993) by
Christian Philip Müller, who dressed as a hiker and illegally crossed, on
foot, eight natural borders between Austria and its neighboring nation
states. Müller took notes on which disguise was most advantageous in terms
of avoiding detection at each crossing, presumably information to be used
by others attempting to cross unnoticed on foot. But Müller could have
dispensed with the nine specific disguises, simply acknowledging that the
guise of a white European man could do wonders for rendering a body safely
(in)visible. In spite of the artist’s intentions, I wonder whether this
work simply flaunted presentation privilege as opposed to doing anything to
undermine established mechanisms of power.

I bring this up not to denigrate the work of one artist, but, returning to
Byron’s prompt, to consider the role artists increasingly play in revealing
and combating the spread of misinformation intended to destabilize
democratic institutions. Müller’s 1993 work strikes me as coming out of a
moment when it was enough to simply highlight the ways in which individual
bodies are subject to exercise of state power when attempting to cross
geopolitical borders. While far right, anti-immigration sentiments are
nothing new in Austria, I wonder how this work would read now. Indeed Alex
as you point out, the concept of “carrying capacity,” i.e. the population
level sustainable by a demarcated environment, has been wrenched from
ecological discourse and and co-opted to maintain population homogeneity
since the 1970s. But with the rise of power/influence of the FPO in Austria
and other nationalist parties like it throughout Europe, not to mention the
current American administration, one feels as though we’ve crossed a
threshold into unprecedented territory.  I find that I increasingly
interested in the way that artists don’t simply reveal systemic power
structures that oppress vulnerable populations, but stage interventions to
provide tools for systemic subversion. When Jennifer asks how the public is
to maintain oversight, I immediately think of works by Trevor Paglen and
Laura Poitras (most well known is their contribution to the Citizenfour
documentary on Snowden), whose practice both reveals and perhaps takes
steps towards dismantling what Paglen has called “the geography and
aesthetics of the American surveillance state.”

On a spectrum, there’s much distance to travel between Müller hiking across
borders largely unmolested by authorities, and Paglen/Poitras working with
a whistle blower. Paul and Alex, I’m curious to hear more about your
respective practices and how you see the role of the artist changing in
this current fraught moment (or perhaps it’s not changing at all?). To
place an ethical imperative on art seems like an undue burden, but as Byron
has pointed out, it does seem to be the artists rather than the technocrats
who are willing to enact radical measures against authoritarian overtures
in our political landscape.

Best,

Paula

--