[-empyre-] [–empyre–] Refiguring the Future, Week 1: Exhibition as Ecosystem

Heather Dewey-Hagborg stigmergy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 06:37:27 AEDT 2019

Hello everyone,
It is a pleasure to join you in this discussion, and share a bit about
REFRESH, the collective Dorothy and I participate in, as well as
"Refiguring the Future" our inaugural exhibition and conference, and some
of my personal thoughts and reflections.

REFRESH
https://refreshart.tech/
http://www.eyebeam.org/rtf/
came out of a social media campaign some might be familiar with #KissMyArs
which started around 2015 and called attention to 3 decades of sexism in
the awarding of Ars Electronica's top prize, the golden nica. We wrote in
detail about this in the Guardian in 2016
https://www.theguardian.com/science/the-h-word/2016/sep/12/ars-electronica-festival-gender
The campaign caught on, the article was shared thousands of times - but Ars
Electronica did not respond.
After 2 years of calling attention to the problem we wanted to do something
proactive, to show them just what they were missing. REFRESH collective was
born out of this ambition to develop sustainable and inclusive curatorial
practices.

For the next 2 years we fundraised and shopped around our idea, which
developed from the seed of wanting to highlight underrepresented artists
working with science and technology, to tackling the topic of narrative
around "the future."
This curatorial theme came about in the wake of Brexit and Trump, with this
overwhelming feeling that there was a need for new narratives, different
visions of what and how the future could be, that weren't dominated by cis
white male perspectives, as science fiction in particular has so much been.

Long story short, we partnered with Eyebeam, who connected us with Hunter
College Galleries (shout out to Sally Schwed!)
and the plans began to come together.
The artists included: Morehshin Allahyari, Lee Blalock, Zach Blas, micha
cárdenas and Abraham Avnisan, In Her Interior (Virginia Barratt and
Francesca da Rimini), Mary Maggic, Lauren McCarthy, shawné michaelain
holloway, Claire and Martha Pentecost, Sonya Rapoport, Barak adé Soleil,
Sputniko! and Tomomi Nishizawa, Stephanie Syjuco, and Pinar Yoldas.

To briefly quote our curatorial statement, the artists we curated together
for "Refiguring the Future":

"provide a starting point for conversation and future-making. They offer a
view of both the present and the future that is not ordinarily visible—one
that is inclusive, diverse, and filled with a multitude of bodies and
vantage points. Their views are neither utopic nor dystopic, but rather
engaged with the complexities of lived experience. With this, we begin to
move beyond a discourse of despair and inevitability, beyond a discussion
of the end of history or the end of novelty. *Refiguring the Future* aims
to inspire new avenues for thought and encourage the collective
construction of new paths forward, ones that are inclusive,
forward-thinking, and unexpected."

For me personally, it is this last point that is most exciting and
important - I want to be surprised.
To this end we commissioned new works from almost every artist in the show
and indeed did not know before opening night how it would all turn out! We
had a deep trust in the community we had assembled and believed, whatever
it would be, it would be good.
And, I would say, it was :)
I was deeply moved by the intersection of communities that came out, on
opening night and to the next two days of conference activities. It wasn't
just the usual suspects, or the same old nyc art & tech folks, but so many
people I met for the first time, people traveling from Chicago, California,
the south. It was such an open and generous group, everyone eager to talk
about the issues we are facing, and how we can move forward.

I don't have any conclusions exactly, but I feel very inspired to continue
the conversation, and I hope we can pick that up a bit here.

So, with that, I would perhaps end with a question.
What does a radically inclusive future look like?

Looking forward to the conversation.

Heather

www.deweyhagborg.com
@hdeweyh