[-empyre-] Art as a Conversation

Margaret Rhee mrheeloy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 16:34:15 AEDT 2019

Thank you Maria, Gabriela, LeConte and Craig for your incredible work. It’s
been such an honor to engage further. I’ve been blessed to meet each artist
individually and to experience the convergences between The projects is
deeply illuminating and exciting.

I think a lot about the ways Maria plays with form through paper dresses
and paintings to intervene in discourses about undocumentation, and how
Craig’s innovative experimentation on the page as Oceania also subverts
forms in a decolonial, demilitarized act. Their work is deeply moving as it
extends the ideas of how one paints and writes poetry.

Similarly, I’ve been deeply moved by the resistance strategies that connect
to Gabriela’s incredible playful work in collectivity and politics in
Columbia, and LeConte’s playful poetic and public health interventions with
participatory action research and poetry. Both practices brings vital
attention to the global south and Black communities through collaboration
and play. I hope we can continue conversations in real time and on the
forum even even as we move into the next month.

This month has been incredibly moving, and impactful and I’m grateful to
everyone for participating. We hope to reconvene the posts in a different
space as a separate collection and will be in touch shortly for those that
want to be involved. We’re grateful to Renate and her incredible mentorship
and vision for —empyre— these email messages were bursts of insight,
provocation, and inspiring balm of on art, poetry, and collaboration.

Thank you again to former weeks participants  Paige, David, Kathleen,
Lynne, Truong, Maria, Kenji, Chase, Erica, Kale, Jerry, Craig, Maria,
LeConte and Gabriela for being models of intervention and play.

We honor Tony Conrad in his inspiration of the initial forum and hope to
continue the conversation. Many thanks again everyone.

--

Margaret Rhee, Ph.D.

College Fellow in Digital Practice (2018 - 2019)
Department of English
Harvard University

Assistant Professor in Media Theory (2019)
Department of Media Study
SUNY Buffalo