[-empyre-] Welcome to -em; yre-: Stadtwerkstatt/ Tanja Brandmayr, Shu Lea Cheang, and Franz Xaver

Renate Ferro rferro at cornell.edu
Sun Sep 1 02:17:24 AEST 2019

Dear -empyre- subscribers,
Welcome back to all after  our summer break.  -empyre- soft-skinned space listserv welcomes STAY UNFINISHED  xxx YOURS SINCERELY for September 2019.  Moderated by Stadtwerkstatt/Tanja Brandmayr, Shu Lea Cheang, and Franz Xaver In  conjunction with STAY UNFINISHED, the 5th edition of Stadtwerkstatt‘s 48 hour showcase extravaganza held in association with Ars Electronica in Linz, Austria.

Shu Lea Cheang has been on our Advisory Editorial Board for the past two years and we are thrilled that she has invited her collaborators and this exciting event to -empyre-.  I will introduce the biographies of our moderators below.  Welcome Tanja, Shu Lea, and Franz to our listserv.

The first post describing the month's activities will be posted soon.  There will be other collateral events including a Radio show featuring -empyre- soft-skinned space and other listserv's whose mission revolves around digital culture and technology.  We will update you all with details as this week progresses with information on how to participate online.

Looking forward to this exciting month. .
Renate

Stadtwerkstatt / STWST has been an art, club and autonomous structure in Linz since 1979. As an early adopter in the context of new media and media art, the place has a history of meaningful projects since the 1980s. Nowadays Stadtwerkstatt is active in the areas of New Art Contexts, runs a club and the Cafe Strom, media channels such as the print Versorgerin and other art and discourse formats. stwst.at, archiv.stwst.at

Tanja Brandmayr (AT) has been working for many years and in different contexts between text, staging and art. Art and context research Quasikunst in cooperation with STWST. Also editor and author for art and culture magazines. Lives in Linz/Austria. www.quasikunst.at/, brandjung.servus.at

Shu Lea Cheang (USA) is an artist, filmmaker, networker working with various art mediums and film formats, including installation, performance, net art, public art, video installation, feature-length film and web serial. As a net art pioneer, her project BRANDON (1998-1999) was the first web art commissioned and collected by the Guggenheim Museum in New York. Currently situated in post net-crash BioNet zone, Cheang takes on viral love, bio hack in her current cycle of works. This year, she is representing Taiwan with a solo exhibition 3x3x6 at Venice Biennale 2019.  She has joined STWST48 curatorial team since 2015.
http://mauvaiscontact.info

Franz Xaver (AT) has studied at the Academy of Applied Art, department of "Visual Communication" founded by Peter Weibel. Subsequently he was teaching computer languages, audio-visual productions, electronics and electrical technics at the same Academy until 1992. At the Technical University of Graz he was lecturing at the department "Institut für Baukunst" "CommunicationTheory". He was participating in numerous exhibitions in Austria and abroad, including Ars Electronica, Aperto Biennale di Venezia, Triennale Milano, Kunst- und Ausstellungshalle Bonn in Germany. Director of Medienkunstlabor in Kunsthaus Graz 2003-2007. Since 2008 he works in Stadtwerkstatt Linz. http://stwst.at   http://donowtic.com

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Art