[-empyre-] NEW ART CONTEXTS

Shu Lea Cheang shulea at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 23 18:02:26 AEST 2019

For this 4^th week of STAY UNFINISHED EXPANDED at –empire- soft-skinned
space, we want to open up the topics of discussion, we welcome
submission of YOUR unfinished proposals, works marked SAVED and out of
desktop, works in developing and processing.  We will also bring in
multi-thread inter-crossover conversations with many players i hope to
introduce.

First, let me bring in (finally) *my co-curators Tanja Brandmayr and
Franz Xaver of Stadtwerkstatt (http://stwst.at), an *art, club and
autonomous structure existed since 1979. The three of us *co-curated
this year’s STWSTx5, the 5^th edition of STWST’s 48 hour
*showcase-extravaganza held in conjunction with Ars Electronica early
September every year since 2015.

Like many of us on –empyre-, including our beloved Renate Ferro (with
Tim Murray) who administer this listserve, we can all be running
organizations, institutes, offices, labs, ANDwe are artists.*STWST48 is
special in its programmation that we as artists curate (others' work)
and we also present our own artistic endeavours.
*

*
*

*Tanja Brandmayr*has been working for many years in different contexts
between text, staging and art. Labelling her art and context research
Quasikunst (http://quasikunst.stwst.at),

she has created a series of work since the first edition of STWST48,
*Trees*(2015), *Fog****(2016), ****Iceber**g* (2017) , Wind (2018) and
this year “Deep Drilling for Contracts“ in which she digs down a sound
hole in the basement of STWST.

http://stwst48x5.stwst.at/en/deep_drilling_for_contracts

Franz Xaver who works with computer languages, audio-visual productions,
electronics and electrical technics started INFOLAB at STWST.This year,
Xaver presented SAND HOLE, a concave sand hole with a diameter of 12
metres dug in front of Stadtwerkstatt building. This hole bundles the
hydrogen radiation of the universe, receiving signals called
“NegInformation”.

http://stwst48x5.stwst.at/en/sandhole**

Tanja states:Quasikunst is systemic-performative research. Each
Quasikunst project is a systemic structure, defines itself as contrast
and underground in all directions. Quasikunst means: dissociating,
superimposed states, diffuse collectives, abstruse connections, other
material, simultaneous saying yes and no. Oppositions question
contradictions, contexts are extended by more contexts.**

**

Xaver states: InfoLab takes up “the nature of information” as a matter
of inquiry to conduct ongoing information research projects. While the
world of natural sciences updates and releases information through
logical conclusions, the information LAB retrieves seemingly meaningless
information data without seeking conclusive arguments. It is about the
interplay between reality and information, about the observation of
observation, taking in contingency randomness in the process of encoding
unique information, looking deeper into concepts of decision-making and
conclusion.

Joining Infolab and QuasiKunst,STWST now places its art/research
productions under the title ‘ New Art Contexts” . Proclaiming art beyond
new media, emphasis is given to contexts that question other contexts,
or dichotomies that are juxtaposed with contradictions. These
installative or textual “theaters of meaning” construct new contexts and
contradictions. The (irrational) contexts in question are underpinned
with theories about quasi-objects like the actor-network theory,
respectively such theories become elements of the artistic setting. A
distinct focus is also the collision/collusion of systemic dichotomies,
in the sense of levelling. Respectively the opposite, as a similar
emphasis is given to the opposite concept of “contestation” – via
artistically constructed coordinate systems against levelling.

With this concept, this year STWST48x5 launched an open call
internationally and brought in same minded art projects for the duration
of 48 hours, including APRIORI (http://weareapriori.net) with Efrén Cruz
Cortés, ELÆ [Lynne DeSilva-Johnson], Margaretha Haughwout, Suzanne
Husky; Raumerweiterungshalle (http://raumerweiterungshalle.net),a
transfeminist project and creative events space(ship) in Berlin; Soybean
Futures (http://dimensionplus.co/en/projects/soybean.html) by Dimension
Plus; Claudia Reiche and Helen von Olderburg’s Civil Wilderness
(http://civilwilderness.info) and Dream Group Practices: Hijacked
Futures X the Anti-hijacking dreams
(http://mauvaiscontact.info/proposal/dreamgrouppractices.pdf) with
Fabiane M.Borges & Rafael Frazao and Darko Fritz' I_AM_STILL_ALIVE.HTML
(audio)
(https://darkofritz.net/projects/int_err_msg/I_am_still%20alive_html_audio.html),
all works STAY UNFINISHED.......

Let the week begins with this introduction of NEW ART CONTEXTS.

If I can smoke Sandy out of the cave, hope that you lurkers out there
make some murmur or shout out ...join us, or SOS: HELP, UNSUBSCRIBE ME.

We should see how this multi-threads of discussion play out during the
week of September 23-30, 2019.

All the best

sl