[-empyre-] Introducing open-weather

Engelmann, Sasha Sasha.Engelmann at rhul.ac.uk
Tue Dec 8 05:07:14 AEDT 2020

Hello everyone,

We are Sophie and Sasha. Together we lead open-weather<https://open-weather.community/>, a research, design and community-centred project that probes the noisy relationships between bodies, atmospheres and weather systems through experiments in amateur radio, open data and feminist tactics of sensing and séance. Here is our contribution to the Accumulations exhibition: http://accumulations.online/openweather.html

Open-weather encompasses a series of how-to guides, critical frameworks and public workshops on the reception of satellite images using free or inexpensive amateur radio technologies. When possible, we work with open-source software and hardware. We focus on access to technology and we strive for equity. In a feminist mode, we ask: who or what gains power from satellite imagery, radio technology and meteorological data?

The project was greatly informed by the first months of lockdown, during which we both set up satellite ground stations on our balconies in Northwest and Southeast London, respectively, and produced a performance called Open Work, Second Body<http://streams.soundtent.org/2020/projects/open-work-second-body> that was livestreamed during the global sounds arts festival Reveil 2020<https://soundtent.org/soundcamp_reveil.html>.

On the occasion of the Our Networks festival in summertime, we activated the growing open-weather network for the first time by inviting collaborators from all over the world to decode satellite passes on Sunday, 6th September 2020, and to submit their materials to the open-weather archive<https://open-weather.community/archive.html>. Out of these materials we built a composite image of the Earth and its weather systems. We think the resulting ‘open-weather nowcast’, featured on our website, counters the smooth, seamless globe that is Google Earth. It is co-created by observers who are weathering – experiencing – the very conditions that they are recording.

Thank you for inviting us to this listserve. We are looking forward to any discussions and questions that may follow.

Warm wishes,

Sasha and Sophie

Dr. Sasha Engelmann (she/her)
Lecturer in GeoHumanities
Geography Department | Royal Holloway University
instagram: @sasha_intheair
twitter: @sashacakes

This email, its contents and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. In certain circumstances, it may also be subject to legal privilege. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. If you have received this email in error, please notify us and immediately and permanently delete it. Any views or opinions expressed in personal emails are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Royal Holloway, University of London. It is your responsibility to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus free.