[-empyre-] Art and Saudi Arabia

Dale Hudson dmh2018 at nyu.edu
Wed Feb 5 01:23:59 AEDT 2020

Thanks, Sean, for this post. For anyone unfamiliar with Gharam’s practice, his website is https://abdulnassergharem.com <https://abdulnassergharem.com/>.

Sean, could you tell us more about how artists like Gharam navigate various state and social restrictions to play a role in defining and redefining Saudi Arabia? I was struck by the use of stamps and concrete blocks.

Is the work received as Saudi, Arab, or Middle Eastern?

It would also be great to hear about telfaz11, which uses YouTube to circumvent restrictions placed on television.