[-empyre-] Final Week of May? What is Dystopia, Really?

KT Duffy ktduffyinc at gmail.com
Sun May 31 14:14:59 AEST 2020

In terms of curatorial practice as pedagogy, this has become a large part
of my teaching practice. I have realized the importance of exposing both my
Studio Art and Graphic Design students to the various roles creatives play
in the broad field where technology meets art and design, both respectively
and collectively. This realization stems from my foremost goal as an
educator, which is to work towards the elimination of the marginalizing
factors and gatekeeping many of our students experience during their
studies, as they enter into a profession, and as they continue on into
careers. By flushing out different roles and giving students opportunities
to be involved in large scale projects from their ideation to execution, we
can allow students of all abilities and interests to find a niche where
they can see themselves reflected.

In every class I teach, I try to facilitate at least one large scale
project that often involves several collaborators. Last semester my
students and I worked towards a Trans Day of Resilience
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OHAAyC-aG0l9fII9_0FmyBxWnosz8s4T/view>
 Exhibition
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OHAAyC-aG0l9fII9_0FmyBxWnosz8s4T/view>.
Working with the Angelina Pedroso Center and the Queer Student Leadership
Institute at NEIU, we compiled an intentional, international, and
multigenerational list of Trans and GNC individuals whose contributions
continue to impact the LGBTQIA+ community. Along with my colleague Lauren
Meranda <http://laurenmeranda.com/wordpress/> (an amazing designer and
queer icon herself), we brought this list to a workshop with Lauren's Type
I course and my Art + Technology I course. This workshop launched with a
discussion of Forward Together's Trans Day of Resilience project
<https://tdor.co/>. Lauren then did an in-depth Risograph workshop, which
involved how to operate the machine and prepare files. Students then worked
as a class to select individuals they wanted to highlight as 11x17 Riso
posters. Students worked collaboratively to curate a set of visuals
(colors, textures, patterns, fonts), which Lauren and I quickly turned into
a design kit students could download. Using this kit, students then went
into production mode and then worked together to fabricate their posters on
the RISO. We then did a site visit as a class to the exhibition space, and
collectively designed and installed the exhibition.

In this broader project students made curatorial decisions such as "what
can queer design look like." They gained proficiency with a new technical
process and worked as a cohesive team along side of many stake-holding
entities to articulate visualizations of queer, trans, and nonbinary
individuals as significant cultural contributors.

I'm interested in how a project like this could be scaled to fit a distance
model. A lot of the interactions and archival activities can be facilitated
with any number of Google tools. However, I am still working through how
one might replicate the fluid exchanges and learning experiences
that happen in an IRL MakerSpace environment. I am curious as to what
alternative opportunities for dialogue and knowledge transfer might emerge
in place, or in opposition to those of the IRL MakerSpace.

--
KT Duffy
*they/their/Mx.*