[-empyre-] Tactical Obfuscation: remembering net.art

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu Feb 4 16:14:31 AEDT 2021

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021, Timothy Conway Murray wrote:

> Of course, the corporate world won out.  The growing search engines
> pretty much left us and our artists out, still living but at the bottom
> of the search engine hierarchy. And, most recently, just a month ago,
> Adobe abandoned Flash now almost completely obfuscating CTHEORY
> Multimedia.

Just a couple of notes -

The corporate world didn't win out; it didn't and doesn't know we exist.
Those channels are hardened. It wasn't a contest between us and them, it
never was. I think a lot of arts resistance is based on a utopianism
that might be a problem, but that's a long and maybe more complicated
discussion.

Second, I've done ok w/ the search engine hierarchy I think; I'm reaching
more people than I ever did before, and collaborate with people around the
world at this point, partly through ELO, partly through videowork and
music distribution. I've had to work at this, and it's the reason I stay
on Fb and YouTube.

Also as you know, there are Flash alternatives that ELO and others are
using to re-program their flashwork; Reiner Strasser has brought his work,
for example, some of which is based on mine, back to life with one of
them.

Best, Alan