[-empyre-] Week 1: Welcome Patrick Lichty to Flow, Impulse and Affect in Real Time

Renate Ferro rferro at cornell.edu
Thu May 13 03:07:34 AEST 2021

Welcome to a short Week 1 on -empyre-.  To start things off Renate Ferro and Tim Murray will be joined by long-time -empyre- subscriber, participant and moderator, Patrick Lichty.  We are thankful to Patrick for innovating this topic and coming up with the conceptual parameters. Biographies are below.  We are hoping that this broad topic warrants an array of responses from our membership.  Just a few thoughts to get the conversation flowing.

The “moment”, is that moment when the body encounters the impulse of the event, to which is has to assimilate and then emote.  But in real time, this moment does not allow for assimilation, it is the constant moment of the impulse, or impulsive. This can be likened to “flow”, or the quality of being “in the zone” of 2021’s media culture. If the rapidity of images, in the flowing, impulsive space is in the contemporary now of media culture, can it then allow for reverberation,  reflection, recitation?  How might we understand the artistic or critical payoff from the impulse of media culture?

Looking forward.  Renate Ferro

Welcome to May 2021 on –empyre- soft-skinned space:
Flow, Impulse and Affect in Real Time
Moderated by Patrick Lichty and Renate Ferro

Guests for
May 10th:   Week 1: Patrick Lichty, Renate Ferro, Tim Murray

Biographies for Week 1:
Renate Ferro is a conceptual media artist who toggles between the creative skins of old and new technologies. Her work mobilizes opportunities for creative interactivity that incorporate issues relating to feminist psychological and sociological conditions. Ferro’s work takes on create skins whose configurations include installation, interactive net-based projects, sculpture, digital time-based media, drawing, text, and performance-based work. These creative skins include participatory, collaborative, generative, and customizable characteristics impacting the networked quality of her work.  Her artistic work has been featured at the University of Virginia, Hunter College Gallery (NYC), The Freud Museum (London), The Dorksy Gallery (NYC), The Hemispheric Institute and FOMMA (Mexico), The Janus Pannonius Muzeum (Hungary), Peking University (Beijing), Johnson Art Museum (Ithaca, NY), and Nanyang Technological University (Singapore).  Her image-based work has been published in Diacritics and Theatre Journal. Her writing has been published in journals such as Media-N and several anthologies.

She is the managing curator and moderator of the online international listserv, -empyre-soft-skinned space that brings together artists, theorists, and technologists. Joining the moderating team in 2007. Since 2010 she has been the curatorial moderator organizing and vetting monthly topics and guests as well as technically monitoring the moderation site and website.

She has taught in the College of Architecture, Art and Planning at Cornell University since 2004 as a Visiting Associate Professor teaching digital media and theory, drawing and advanced Thesis studios.  She is currently the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
www.renateferro.net
https://aap.cornell.edu/people/renate-ferro

Tim Murray
A longtime member of the -empyre- moderation team, Tim Murray is Director of the Cornell Council for the Arts, Professor of Comparative Literature and English, and Founding Curator of the Rose Goldsen Archive of New Media Art in the Cornell Library. He has curated the international exhibition “Contact Zones: The Art of CD-Rom” (https://contactzones.cit.cornell.edu), and with Arthur and Marilouise Kroker, the conceptual internet art journal, “CTHEORY Multimedia” (http://ctheorymultimedia.cornell.edu). More recently, he joined Sarah Watson and Sherry Miller Hocking on “The Experimental Television Center: A History, ETC” at Hunter College Galleries in New York City, and at Cornell, he curated “Signal to Code: 50 Years of Media Art in the Goldsen Archive” (http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/signaltocode/) as well as the 2018 and 2020 Cornell Biennials (http://cca.cornell.edu/?p=2020-biennial.
He is awaiting production of Technics Improvised: Activating Touch in Global Media Art(Minnesota, 2022).  Among his books are Medium Philosophicum: Pensar tecnológicamente el arte (Universidad de Murcia, 2021), Digital Baroque: New Media Art and Cinematic Folds (Minnesota, 2008), Zonas de Contacto: el arte en CD-Rom (Centro de la Imagen, 1999), Drama Trauma: Specters of Race and Sexuality in Performance, Video, Art (Routledge, 1997), Like a Film: Ideological Fantasy on Screen, Camera, and Canvas (Routledge, 1993), ed. Xu Bing’s Background Story and his Oeuvre (Mandarin), co-edited with Yang Shin-Yi (Life Bookstore Publishing, 2016), ed. with Irving Goh of The Prepositional Senses of Jean-Luc Nancy, 2 Vols., diacritics (2014-16), and ed., Mimesis, Masochism & Mime: The Politics of Theatricality in Contemporary French Thought (Michigan, 1997).
Week 2
Rebecca Rouse, PhD (Senior Lecturer in Media Arts, Aesthetics & Narration in the School of Informatics’ Division of Game Development, University of Skövde, Sweden)
My research focuses on storytelling with new technologies. What kinds of stories can we tell with emerging media like augmented and mixed reality? I work with community partners to create collaborative work with students and community members in digital cultural heritage and co-created placemaking. I also research the theoretical and historical aspects of emerging technologies, and develop work across museums, cultural heritage sites, interactive installations, moveable books, and theatrical performance. All of my work comes together around investigating and inventing new modes of storytelling. For more information visit www.rebeccarouse.com.

Jonathon Epstein is a Sociologist and public intellectual living in Winston Salem, NC. He has a PhD in Sociology and is the author of books and anthologies like Adolescents and their Music and The Baudrillard Reader.

Renate Ferro
Visiting Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Art