[-empyre-] Thinking about Flow and Real-Time in Pandemic-Time: Twitter, GarageBand, and Pianos

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Thu May 20 12:00:57 AEST 2021

Hi, just wanted to say I quite like this and machine-time reminds me of
Sartre's analysis in Critique of Dialectical Reason about people working
on assembly lines - I forget the exact quote, but it's something like
"It's the machine in them that did the dreaming." That resonates; machine
time, AI, and the like are internally timeless in a sense, even with the
calculations measured, and program breakdowns, ransoms which suspend
program time, or one program time for another, and so forth. So when you
write about

" collaborating with our six year old son to make and edit songs
in GarageBand. We lose track of time. We make our own fun. That flow is
between us, "

I think of the flow among bodies and all the "messiness" of human life,
and that's a kind of epiphany in a sense -

Best Alan